If you already have any experience with the old God of War title, you definitely know that this game is packed with a lot of dangerous and worst bosses. But with the release of God of War Ragnarok, there are some new giants included in the storyline and Kratos has to defeat all of them to carry on his journey. Among these, Dreki is a tough boss you will have to confront in the second chapter ‘Quest For Tyr.’ This crocodile monster is a serious threat, both because of its strong flashy strikes and because of how easily it can crush you in its sharp jaws.
Dreki is a hard enemy to fight because of the variety of its attacks. But if the players understand his attack patterns and the way to defend themselves, it becomes easy to take down this foe. In this guide, we will tell you how to beat Dreki in God of War Ragnarok by implementing different strategies and tricks.
How to Defeat Dreki in God of Ragnarok: Boss Fight Tips
As soon as you set foot in the Svartalfheim mining district, you’ll encounter this opponent. Upon Kratos and Atreus’ arrival in the area, they find the dead body of Dreki. When Atreus and Kratos are examing the corpse, another huge Dreki will suddenly arrives from the side and immediately charges at the players. You must defeat Dreki before you progress further by defending yourself against the boss’s area-of-effect and close-range melee blows. Its five separate health bars make this fight a lot harder because you need to deliver some powerful strikes to him to put a good amount of damage.
When facing this enemy, it’s important to keep in mind the following key points:
- Do more damage using your Leviathan Axe’s charged long-range attacks.
- Whenever you need to break through a defense, don’t forget to use your anger attack (L3 + R3) for additional damage.
- Execute a backward turn when you see a long swing or AoE blow coming so that you can avoid getting hit.
- Utilize the Dreki’s vulnerability to yellow strikes by parrying them. This will allow you to string up lethal assaults.
On top of that, examine Dreki’s diverse attacks and try to counter them.
Beat Dreki Boss
With all in mind discussed above, we have explained below how to beat Dreki in God of War Ragnarok:
- The Dreki will start the fight by spitting a saliva ball at you. If you aren’t quick enough to dodge it, you will get some damage. Although it’s not a big deal to avoid this blow if you know the tactics well. With the use of Dauntless Shield, you can even divert back this ball attack towards the boss resulting in inflicting damage and shocking it for a short duration. It will also give you time to launch your own attacks on him with your Axe.
- Following that, he has another lightning area-of-effect field attack which you need to avoid. Do a double-dodge roll backward to evade it as you can’t block it with your shield.
- Remember, your timing is most essential when parrying the attack; you must block it at the last possible moment to make the move effective. When the boss’s weakness is vulnerable, you need to attack Dreki and hit as many blows as you can to deal him great harm.
- However, when it comes to close-range melee attacks, moving from evasion to parrying is a key adjustment in strategy. Dreki has some strong close-range assaults which you should be aware of.
- Dreki initiates close-range combat by leaping in your direction and landing a little far distance ahead of you. Then Dreki will spin around swiftly, slashing towards you with its massive tail; use your shield to defend it, or simply avoid it.
- The monster will pounce on you during the next melee attack. On this occasion, it will fall significantly closer and use its yellow block-break attack—a chomp—to breach your defenses. If you will not be quick enough to avoid being hit, the Dreki will grasp you and put you on the field.
- Once you succeed in draining the two health bars of the boss, the next phase begins where it will launch a new attack in which it jumps from a great distance and lands with a chomp. You will get the alert sign of this blow in the form of a yellow circle which you will see around his head when he initiates the attack.
- The Dreki’s new ability will introduce when its health drops below 50 percent; this red unlocked attack has it leaping into the air while charging an electrical area-of-effect strike. If you will get affected by its lighting electric attack, you will receive a lot of damage and get shocked. After that, you will not be able to move or defend yourself by blocking the strikes.
- Utilize the small window of opportunity given by the Dreki as it charges its electric strike to top up your Leviathan Axe or the Blades of Chaos to put a devastating blow on him.
- In this phase of the fight, Dreki’s powerful electrifying blows can be unblockable for you and can give you a lot of harm. So, it will be suitable for you to keep a distance from the enemy to protect yourself. If you want to defeat the giant, you need to get inside melee range when the Dreki briefly stunned or pushed back, and then launch some attacks on the boss before stepping back. Just a few handfuls of such engagements are all it requires to kill Dreki.
When the boss’s health will almost goes, press R3 when instructed to finish out the Dreki with Atreus’ help. In exchange for your efforts in beating the Dreki, you will receive a Chaos Flame, +4 Dragon Teeth, and a Light Runic Attack (Flames of Anguish).
So, that’s all from our side in this guide about defeating the Dreki in God of War: Ragnarok. Furthermore, you can also check our God of War Ragnarok Berserker Gravestone locations walkthrough or look at the God of War Ragnarok Mine Puzzle guide. You can also visit our guides hub to read all the latest information.